Monday, July 27, 2009

Waiting For Results

This past Thursday afternoon the sleep study clinic called me and said that someone else had cancelled their overnight study for Friday, and we could take that slot if we wanted it. Although it was really short notice, I jumped at the opportunity. If we have to potentially squeeze in two studies before the 15th of September, I figured we'd better get started. We were on the waiting list with the clinic because they were already booked until October when the doctor set the dates for everything.

So, Friday night David and I packed our hiking day packs with travel blankets and pillows, a change of comfortable warm clothes including wool socks and Keens and Dave's computer with a bunch of movies to watch. We looked like we were ready to go camping! Our nurse Deborah teased that maybe we should take our fire starting kit and a rug to send her smoke signal messages. But, we really did need all this stuff and were very grateful to have it and use in a new context. Parents can sleep in the same room as the child being tested, but I was concerned that Lizzie would not sleep well with us in the room with her because she has her own room at home, and I wanted to make sure that the study went well. So, while Lizzie slept, David and I "camped out" all night in the waiting room. It worked out well.

During the study, two things were done. First of all, after hooking Lizzie up to all these wires and bands all over her whole body but mostly her head, they had Lizzie sleep with her trach completely closed off for about three hours. Then, they took the cap off her trach and had her sleep with it open. I'm not too sure for the reason behind this part of the study. Maybe they needed data points to compare. Anyway, the tech said that Lizzie slept well, and they were able to get some really good information. However, only the doctor is legally allowed to interpret the results.

So, I am sitting here on Monday morning waiting for a call from the doctor that I am not certain will come today. I will keep you posted on the results as I hear them.

2 comments:

Carley said...

Definately keep us posted. It was great to talk to you yesterday. It's nice to be able to put Cody in the nursery now and be normal at church. I feel like we have a great routine at home now too so I'm not so much in the baby fog anymore so I'll be able to be more available now. We can have play dates. I'll pray everything goes well with buying the new mini van. What blessings you have been provided.

Mary said...

Hoping you hear very soon! It's going to be good news...