Friday, March 13, 2009

Experiment

Well, our little cath-ing experiment failed. I posted earlier that we were experimenting with cath-ing Lizzie just before we put her down for the night and not again until she wakes up 12 hours later in the morning. This would free me from having to stay up until 11 pm every night to cath. Unfortunately, her morning urine outputs were just slightly too high, and the other morning she woke up with a wet diaper which means her bladder filled so much that it overflowed. (This is not good for her kidneys.)

So I am back to night time caths. However, on the bright side, I did figure out that at night I don't need to cath her exactly at 11 pm. As long as I do it before I go to bed, sometime between 10 and 11:30 pm, she is fine. That before my bedtime cath seems to take enough urine out of her bladder that her output in the morning is well within safe levels. Even though I am not free from the night time cath responsibility, at least I have some flexibility with it. : )

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh I'm sorry about the news. I'm glad that maybe doing it at 10-ish will do the trick. I was at Medical City today meeting with a cardiologist and thought about you and Lizzie the whole time. You help me remember to count my blessings and to not complain! Lizzie is gonna run the world one day :)

Carley said...

I'm glad you figured out a solution to the problem. I know that still ties you down but at least you have flexibility! You guys have come a long way! It was fun to run into the other day. Lizzie is always so smiley...and Becca was cute in her rain gear!