Monday, June 16, 2008

Broken Toes and Blessings

While David was out of town on a retreat with his students, clumsy me managed to break my pinky toe. OUCH!! I passed in front of my coffee table and somehow caught my toe at just the right angle to completely snap the bone. I heard a crack, but I did not feel any pain. I quickly got up my nerve to look down and saw that my pinky on my left foot was sticking out sideways!! I thought that I had just dislocated it, so I tried to put it back into place before the pain hit. My attempts failed. I hobbled back to Lizzie's room and asked the nurse, Josesphine, if she could try to put it back into place. (This is one of the benefits of having a nurse in my house 12 hours a day.) She couldn't get it either. I grabbed my purse and keys and ran out the door to go to the hospital.

Along the way I made several phone calls including a desperate call to David, and within a few minutes we had help for Becca, whom I left at home with the nurse, and other people driving to meet me at the hospital. Wow! A couple of hours later I had extra nursing help for Lizzie to help me when her usual nurses have to leave and someone to stay the night with me. By the next morning we even had meals lined up for the next few days! Double wow!

I am so very grateful to be surrounded by such good caring friends. Not everyone has this in their life. I thank the Lord for the blessing my friends have been to me.

Well, to end this long post, the hospital sent me home with a special shoe for my foot, crutches. and a lot of pain medication! : )

No comments: