Saturday, June 28, 2008

More Broken Bones


Here is the latest on our little Lizzie.

Part I
On Thursday morning I went to get Lizzie up to start her routine. I quickly noticed that she was more than a little congested. In fact, she was so congested with her oxygen levels lower than usual and her heart rate elevated (she sleeps connected to a pulse-oxometer at night) that I just automatically assumed that she had pneumonia and we would need to go to the hospital. I have to admit, I was really scared. Her pulmenologist saw her a little later that morning and told us that it was just a respiratory infection and sent us home with an antibiotic prescription.

Feeling relieved, I came home and took a long nap while Becca took hers.

Part II
After my nap, I went to Lizzie’s room to check on her. Her nurse that day, Deborah, said that Lizzie’s left thigh looked swollen. It was bad and almost hard. Panicked for the second time that day I immediately started calling her doctors. I was afraid that it might be a broken bone, a blood clot, or an indication of kidney failure. David, just 30 minutes home from the second of two back to back trips with students, and I decided to take her to the ER. At about 2:00 am we finally got the bad news. Her femur just above her knee was broken.

I cried.

We had no idea how it happened. I strained my exhausted brain thinking back to everything we had done that very long day, but still nothing. According to standard protocol we were questioned by a hospital social worker and were finally discharged around 10 am.

I am very grateful that she cannot feel the pain.

Now Mommy and Lizzie both have a broken bone.

1 comment:

Mary said...

It really doesn't seem to let up for you lately! Hopefully there will be smooth sailing ahead!